14 Places to Sip, Shop & Stroll in Tallahassee
Bookstores, breweries & boutiques abound in our state’s capital
1. SAGE, A RESTAURANT: Leave college crowds behind when you dine at this eatery serving up elevated New American cuisine, an educational wine series and craft cocktails shaken up with local liquor. 3534 Maclay Blvd S.
2. ALFRED B. MACLAY GARDENS STATE PARK: Escape to ornamental gardens blooming with hundreds of camellias, azaleas and dogwood trees on the banks of Lake Overstreet and Lake Hall. 3540 Thomasville Road
3. HEARTH & SOUL: You’ll feel right at home inside this upscale boutique filled with a curated collection of home accessories, clothing for men and women and bespoke gifts for the most finicky of family members. 1410 Market St.
4. PROOF BREWING COMPANY: Sip on Sunshine State–inspired ales like the Blue Floridian Berliner Weisse or the Warpath imperial IPA at the city’s first craft brewery. 1320 S. Monroe St.
5. KOOL BEANZ CAFE: Between the casual yet quirky decor and a James Beard semifinalist pastry chef, this Tally institution makes for an unforgettable meal. 921 Thomasville Road
6. FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY: Cheer for the Seminoles, tour the hallowed halls or take a dip in the Westcott Fountain, if you’re feeling brave—it’s tradition. 156 S. Copeland St.
7. BAR 1903: Sample the extensive catalog of cocktails and storied spirits divided by era inside the impeccably restored Walker Library building. 209 E. Park Ave.
8. FLORIDA STATE CAPITOL: Rub elbows with our state’s lawmakers when you visit the Capitol Complex. Sit in on a legislative session, meet with your representative or discover the history beneath your feet at the museum. 400 S. Monroe St.
9. IL LUSSO: Indulge in authentic wagyu Denver steak, seafood mezzaluna drizzled in lobster sauce or a beef Wellington prepped to perfection over the course of 48 hours. Don’t forget to make a resy at this popular bistro. 201 E. Park Ave., Suite 100
10. CASCADES PARK: Bike some of the capital’s extensive trail network, catch a performance at the amphitheater or let the kiddos splash around in Imagination Fountain at this outdoor community hub. 1001 S. Gadsden St.
11. NEAT INTERIORS & DESIGN: Spend hours browsing shelves full of throw pillows and framed art or enlist the help of a NEAT consultant to find just the right decor to make your house a home. 1390 Timberlane Road, Suite 201
12. TALLAHASSEE AUTOMOBILE MUSEUM: Along with over 160 rare cars, visitors will also find a vast collection of sports memorabilia, Steinway pianos, motorcycles and more in this antique enthusiast emporium. 6800 Mahan Drive
13. MIDTOWN READER: Find your next paperback pal or pick the brains of local literary legends like Lauren Groff and Jeff VanderMeer, whom you just might find holed up inside this intimate indie bookstore. 1123 Thomasville Road
14. ST. MARKS NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE: Far from the war chants of the city, trek through this sprawling ecosystem of estuaries, coastal marshes and islands to catch glimpses of alligators, ospreys, bald eagles and bobcats. 1255 Lighthouse Road