by The Editors | March 5, 2019
Bird’s Eye View: Destination Art Deco
Don’t hate South Beach because it’s beautiful. The famed Miami beach neighborhood teems with architectural icons, chic boutiques and authentic eateries.
Illustration by Leslie Chalfont
- MICCHIALINA Straight out of Italy, this hidden gem specializes in handmade pastas and a perfecto vino selection.
820 Alton Road
- ESPAÑOLA WAY This historic street bustles with shoppers and diners soaking up its bohemian atmosphere.
Between Washington Ave. and Drexel Ave.
- COLONY THEATRE Originally opened in 1935 as a Paramount Pictures cinema, the classic Art Deco venue hosts live stage performances.
1040 Lincoln Road
- TAQUIZA Steve Santana gives the people what they want: mouthwatering tacos with handmade tortillas.
1351 Collins Ave.
- THE LINCOLN EATERY A new mecca for foodies with more than 16 culinary experiences under one gorgeous roof.
723 Lincoln Lane N.
- BOOKS & BOOKS Founded in 1982, this book shop still serves as the city’s leading independent book store and coffee shop.
927 Lincoln Road
- THE BASS The crown jewel of the art scene, this contemporary art museum features exhibits from international artists.
2100 Collins Ave.
- LOEWS MIAMI BEACH HOTEL This icon glitters, with its signature spire, an oceanfront pool, a luxe spa and Lure Fish Bar.
1601 Collins Ave.
- THE BETSY HOTEL This literary-loving hotel at the top of Ocean Drive hosts exclusive events including book and poetry readings.
1440 Ocean Drive
- LA SANDWICHERIE Open until 5 a.m., this tiny shop has been serving French fare on fresh-baked baguettes since 1988.
229 14th St.
- THE WEBSTER This chic boutique in the heart of South Beach holds three stories worth of designer duds.
1220 Collins Ave.
- GIANNI’S AT THE VILLA CASA CASUARINA Italian dining by the mosaic-tiled pool inside Gianni Versace’s former home.
1116 Ocean Drive
- PUERTO SAGUA This classic option for authentic Cuban food is known for its ropa vieja and guava pound cake.
700 Collins Ave.
- NEWS CAFÉ No trip to South Beach is complete without a visit to this sidewalk cafe and bar, open 24/7.
800 Ocean Drive