“Red Devil” Stuffed Eggs Recipe from Chef Kathleen Blake
LAKE MEADOW “RED DEVIL” STUFFED EGGS
- 2 dozen farm fresh eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill,
- plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons with some of the juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon regular paprika
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 cups good quality mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Splash of Tabasco sauce
PREPARATION: Add eggs to a large pot. Cover with water and add a generous amount of salt. Bring to a hard boil. Turn off the heat and cover. Let eggs stand for 11 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, make a salted ice bath large enough to cover the cooked eggs. Transfer eggs to the ice bath. Let stand until eggs completely cool. Carefully peel eggs and cut in half. Separate the yolks from the whites. Carefully rinse the whites so that no yellow residue remains. Pulse yolks and any cracked whites in a food processor or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Stop pulsing when the mixture reaches a pebble-like texture. You don’t want the consistency to be creamy at this point. Add the herbs, chopped cornichons, spices and lemon. Fold in the mayonnaise, and add the cornichon juice to loosen the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Tabasco sauce. Fill a pastry bag with the mixture and stuff the halved egg whites. Garnish with dill and chives. Recipe notes: Be creative with the garnishes.
Try these recipes from Chef Blake:
THE RUSTY SPOON
— Location —
55 W. Church St.
— Hours —
MON.–FRI. 11 A.M.–3 P.M.
NIGHTLY 5 P.M.–10 P.M.
Read more about The Rusty Spoon and Chef Kathleen Blake