by The Editors | December 26, 2017
Bird’s Eye View: Coral Gables is Old Miami
A recent revamp of Coral Gables’ Miracle Mile energizes an iconic community built in the 1920s by George Merrick.
- EATING HOUSE MIAMI Chef Giorgio Rapicavoli excels with an eclectic lineup of Cap’n Crunch pancakes, cauliflower steak and grilled quail. 804 Ponce De Leon Blvd.
- MS. CHEEZIOUS This food-truck-turned-eatery serves grilled cheese in every way imaginable. 1915 Ponce De Leon Blvd.
- THREEFOLD CAFÉ Craft coffee and gourmet breakfast is sourced from local faves like Panther Coffee and Zac the Baker. 141 Giralda Ave.
- ARAGON 101 Take a cooking class or join the supper club at this quaint culinary school. 101 Aragon Ave.
- HOTEL COLONNADE Built in 1922, the contemporary escape offers luxury suites and a lush rooftop pool. 180 Aragon Ave.
- CORAL GABLES ART CINEMA See screenings of the latest foreign and independent films. 260 Aragon Ave.
- ORTANIQUE A must-see on Miracle Mile, the restaurant is popular for its citrus-inspired décor and crafty cocktails. 278 Miracle Mile
- BOOKS & BOOKS Find great reads and café con leche at the locally owned bookshop, which hosts author talks and a monthly farm-to-table dinner. 265 Aragon Ave.
- POOL LABSHOW This modern boutique features international brands like Inouitoosh and Muuñ. 376 Miracle Mile
- ACTORS’ PLAYHOUSE AT THE MIRACLE THEATRE This restored 1940s movie theater hosts performances of classic live theater productions. 280 Miracle Mile
- FRENCHIES DINER Enjoy a dainty or decadent French meal with items like salad nicoise and duck confit club. 2618 Galiano St.
- VENETIAN POOL The public swimming hole with aquifer-fed spring water was built in 1923 and remains a treasured icon. 2701 De Soto Blvd.
- BILTMORE HOTEL Walk the grounds or savor Sunday brunch at the historic hotel, opened in 1926. 1200 Anastasia Ave.
- SHOPS AT MERRICK PARK Explore this open-air retail destination with upscale shops like Neiman Marcus and Burberry as well as a farmers market on Sundays.
358 San Lorenzo Ave.
- OLD CUTLER TRAIL Ride this scenic 11-mile bike trail under canopies of banyan trees and near stretches of beach. Cocoplum Circle
- FAIRCHILD TROPICAL GARDEN Named for botanist David Fairchild, the garden houses a collection of rare plants. 10901 Old Cutler Road