by Katie Hendrick | September 22, 2017
Bird’s Eye View: St. Petersburg
A mix of independent businesses and world-famous museums make this city by the bay a cultural haven.
Illustration Leslie Chalfont
- THE CHIHULY COLLECTION Explore a gallery built to showcase Dale Chihuly’s iconic glass sculptures. 720 Central Ave.
- MOREAN ARTS CENTER The 100-year-old organization houses a sprawling permanent collection of Dale Chihuly’s glass works, as well as a studio where guests can watch glass blowers in action. 719 Central Ave.
- DADDY KOOL RECORDS The purveyor of new, used and rare vinyl albums, CDs, posters and collectibles offers music buffs a one-stop shop. 666 Central Ave. N
- ZAZOOD Interior designer David Fischer stocks his furniture emporium with nautical finds and whimsical pieces. 531 Central Ave.
- ST. PETE ARTWORKS The cooperative art gallery showcases members’ works in a variety of media. 635 Central Ave.
- FLORIDA CRAFTART This nonprofit runs a large retail gallery, organizes exhibits and leads area walking tours. 501 Central Ave.
- THE MILL Le Cordon Bleu alum Ted Dorsey blends Southern and French cuisine in an award-winning, farmstead-chic eatery. 200 Central Ave. #100
- JANNUS LIVE The open-air music hall opened in 1984 to support local punk and reggae bands, but has since hosted household names of all genres. 200 1st Ave. N
- SHAPIRO’S GALLERY Features a big selection of blown glass, jewelry, metal art and wood sculptures. 300 Beach Dr. NE #112
- THE BIRCHWOOD Luxuriate in French linens and a clawfoot bathtub at this boutique hotel with a posh rooftop bar. 340 Beach Dr. NE
- THE VINOY Enjoy an 18-hole golf course, expansive spa and speakeasy-style restaurant at this iconic Mediterranean Revival resort built in the ’20s. 501 5th Ave. NE
- MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS The museum’s collection covering nearly 5,000 years of civilization includes masterpieces from Monet, O’Keeffe and Whistler. 255 Beach Drive. NE
- CASSIS AMERICAN BRASSERIE A sumptuous menu of Provencal favorites, from bouillabaisse to brioche au sucre, transports guests to the French Riviera. 170 Beach Drive. NE
- SALVADOR DALÍ MUSEUM Discover more than 2,100 works from every moment and every medium of the surrealist artist’s career. 1 Dali Blvd.